Blind World Magazine

Call made for suspension of Cuban eye care programme.




RJR94FM, Jamaica.
Tuesday, May 30, 2006.




A call is being made for an immediate suspension of the Cuban assistance programme which provides free surgery to Jamaicans suffering from serious eye problems.


It comes in the wake of reports that a large number of post-operation patients have been suffering complications including loss of vision.


The call has come from Head of the Department of Opthalmology, at the Kingston Public Hospital Dr. Albert Lue.


Dr. Lue, who brought the matter to public attention last week, has made a recommendation to the Health Ministry that the Cuban programme be put on hold until a detailed assessment is carried out.


He says this is needed to determine whether proper surgical procedures are being carried out.


Speaking Monday on Beyond the Headlines, Dr. Lue said the number of cases of post-operation complications is alarming.


It's reported that in a survey of 60 patients who recently returned to Jamaica, three persons are now visually impaired, while 14 are suffering serious corneal damage.


Dr. Lue is urging the Health Ministry to take steps to prevent more persons from losing their sight.


Director of Policy Analysis in the Ministry of Health Dr. Eva Lewis Fuller who also appeared on Beyond the Headlines Monday said the Ministry has not yet decided whether to put the Cuban programme on hold.


More than 2,000 Jamaicans have received free eye surgery since the programme started.



http://www.rjr94fm.com/stationprofile/default.php




End of article.



Any further reproduction or distribution of this article in a format other than a specialized format, may be an infringement of copyright.






Go to ...


Top of Page.

Previous Page.

List of Categories.

Home Page.





Blind World Website
Designed and Maintained by:
George Cassell
All Rights Reserved.



Copyright Notice
and Disclaimer.